January 4, 2011

A New Year Resolution: Burlesque



Okay so its a new year and as one of my resolutions I've decided to start writing on this blog again. So my apologizes for anyone who followed and I just stopped writing, but I am determined to do better. So lets start it off with the last movie I went to in theaters "Burlesque"!
Now in movies there are always equations to follow... good vs. evil, shy guy gets the girl, well "Burlesque" is no different it follows an equation: small town pretty girl, alone in the world, moves to the big city to find herself. So Christina Aguilera plays Ally, who leaves her small town diner job to move to LA. After a little while she uses 10 of her last dollars and enters a club called "Burlesque" and just has to be on stage. Cher owns the place and Stanley Tucci is her right hand man. Let me just say who doesn't love Stanley Tucci, but I digress. Ally sure enough finds herself as a waitress working her way to the stage. Now "Burlesque" has one part "Moulan Rouge" one dose of "Coyote Ugly" and a dash of "Chicago" does it make for a good movie...damn right it does! Fueled by an awesome soundtrack provided by the highly talented Aguilera and 2 new songs by Cher; the soundtrack enough is worth the price of admission. With a slew of minor parts filled by some well known faces - Eric Dane, Julianne Hough, and Kristen Bell; who plays the withcy girl everyone hates and she is good at it. This movie is fun and entertaining, and that's why you should go see it, if you like to dance and sing you will be in your glory!
The performance that I'm choosing in this film is by Cam Gigandet, who I like to call prince charming. In any movie I see him in whether he is playing the bad guy or not, charm flows out of him (sigh). In "Burlesque" he plays Jack, a young and handsome bartender who is secretly a song writer. Jack is the first person to befriend Ally and sure enough falls for her after she moves in. For Gigandet its the eyes and subtle movements. He spends the movie trying to help Ally, and his soft funny character-isms really can make you fall in love ladies. Its all in the charm.
So overall I give "Burlesque" a solid 8 out of 1o, it is a good time, and does what every great film does: It allows you to escape. But hey that's just this Ingènues input.
Happy New year!

1 comment: